Teryn cut the first piece as we started work on our aluminum quadmaran.
I did the first welding on our aluminum quadmaran:
However, it did not go so well. Our training welds (see below) were much different. The first boat weld was in a corner unlike any of the training welds. I was not as prepared as I thought I was. Probably need some more practice.
|Aluminum is cut
1) Must clean aluminum surface with stainless steel wire brush to get off aluminum oxide.
2) Power level to use depends on what exactly you are welding. Should be an app for this but
there is a sliding card.
3) Wind matters. Want to block as much as you can.
And from this new stuff we learned:
1) for welding inside a corner you should use different electrodes that can hold a point,
like red ones. The grey ones we have melt and ball up. This does not reach into the
corner so well.
2) May want a smaller gas shield to reach into the corner
We have ordered some red TIG electrodes and will start welding again when they get here in 2 or 3 weeks.